A Very Overdue Update on K's Life.........

Hi everyone! 

Hope you're all well! 


I know its been a while since I have done a post, but honestly guys I have just been so busy with work and balancing life in general. A lot has changed for me in the last couple of months in terms of my studies and work, as you may know I was training to be an Optician and studying the course along side. Unfortunately I am no longer pursuing this route due to finding it difficult  to balance working, studying a full time degree and have some sort of  social life. It was all getting too much for me and as you can imagine stressful too! I am sad it has not worked out how I planned it too, as I was half way through my course, but hey I believe everything happens for a reason and you just have to keep pushing along. After making the decision to drop out I had a month of everything, in this period of time I had time to gather my thoughts together and decide what I want to achieve in life and what actually makes me happy. Throughout this month, I did have moments of in a dark place, I mean it was great to start off with to just chill and do absolutely nothing, but baring in mind  I went from working full time in practice to going home to do essays/assignments to basically having no purpose in  get up.  There is only so much Netflix you can watch and scroll through social media, and be angry at myself but inner me knew I had to pick myself up and start planning my next journey. Yes it was such a horrible phase  of not  knowing what I wanted to do, comparing yourself to others and feeling worthless. Despite everything I managed to push myself out of that dark phase and  find myself a job and bank a place at university to study to be an Optician full time in  September! I am now in a much a happier place and looking forward to a new beginning.  


Moving on to more exciting news, I was officially discharged from the Royal Marsden Hospital ( where I was treated), as I am now nearly 6 years post my bone marrow transplant! It was such a surreal moment being told I do not have to come back for another check up, when six years ago I was told I only have a  40% chance of surviving through transplant. Crazy right? I will always be grateful for having the most amazing transplant team who always believed in me, my brother for being my donar and having my treatment fully funded by the NHS who have given me a second chance in life to be here today. My whole cancer  journey was a hell of rollercoaster but you know what I am so proud myself for pulling through and not giving up! 



Me and the transplant team on my very last appointment! 

In March I had the privilege of  sharing my story at the End of Treatment Day (for parents whose children have recently finished treatment at the Royal Marsden Hospital). I was the patient speaker at the event where I spoke about topics such as diagnosis, treatment, hair loss and mainly my life after cancer. I also answered a panel of questions asked by the parents. Even though I was quite nervous and typical me forgot my USB with my presentation on it, the talk went really well! Not only was it the most humbling experience,  but being told by the parents how much hope I had given them was such an amazing feeling. 



End Of Treatment Talk 


In April I went to Teens Unite reunion activity stay, if you have  read my previous posts you will know Teens Unite is a teenage cancer charity  who support young adults between the ages13-25 and run regular fun events. http://teensunitefightingcancer.org/.  Reunion activity stay was a three day trip away in Mill Hill, where we did archery, axe throwing, had a karaoke night, pizza night, a art workshop and many more! I had such an amazing time experiencing and trying out new things I have never done before. The best bit was reuniting with friends I have met through the charity and meeting new ones, we all got on so well and built a  strong connection by the end of the trip. Again thank you Teens Unite! 














Lastly on the 10th May it was 7 years since I was diagnosed with cancer! Another milestone reached and still killing it as always. Last week I was at University College Hospital in London as I had a dexa (bone) scan and a lung function test part of my long term procedure. This is due to the treatment I have  had  could potentially affect these parts of my  body in later years of my life. Thankfully it all went well! Woooo peace out Cancer! 



Lung Function Test 


Dexa Scan 

Thats it for today guys I hope you have enjoyed reading this update post and I shall speak to you soon! 

Take care, 


 Kirushni xxx



Comments

Popular Posts