Happy 3 years post transplant to me!

Hello everyone!

Today marks three years since my bone marrow transplant and what a recovery I have made! WOOOO!! This time three years ago I had my brothers stem cells transplanted into me, I was very lucky that my brother was a 100% match, as this is  really rare  with only 1 in 4 siblings are a match. Bone marrow transplants are complicated procedures that involves so many risks like GVHD which I suffered from so badly and infections because your immune system is weakened from the conditioning treatment I had before my transplant.  I will explain everything in detail when I write part three of my story. Knowing I had a 40% chance of surviving this transplant was  really worrying for me and my family but we knew this was the right decision in order for me to get better and have a better chance of me living cancer free for the rest of my life. Words cannot describe how tough it was recovering from it all, it has been a massive roller coaster but I am so proud of myself for staying positive and getting through it all. However it really breaks my heart that not all my friends who have had a transplant have made it through like me, but I know for a fact that they will always be a massive part of my life and will never be forgotten. I just wanted to say I  had to fight like hell for me to be where I am today so please do not take life for granted as you never know whats around the corner.

I would also  like to say massive thank you to my family,friends, doctors/consultants,nurses and all the hospital staff who have helped me get better and have supported me all the way through.


http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bone-marrow-transplant/Pages/Introduction.aspx




Thank you for reading,

Kirushni xxx

Comments

Popular Posts